PLEASE NOTE: These electronic pages are for the use of individual researchers, and may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.
Island; and Thankful, born 1809, the widow of Abram Burdick, and now living in Clifford. For his second wife, 1811, he married Sarah Brightman (1786-1859), whose children were Luther(1818-78), a farmer of this township; Sally, (1814-77), was the wife of Samuel Cole, a farmer, of Clifford; Mary (now Mrs. Philip Burdick); Julia, born 1818, is the wife of Rev. B. B. Palmer, a pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Nebraska; Stephen, 1820, is a farmer in Clifford; Abigail, 1822, the widow of William B. Main, lives in Wisconsin; Elisha, 1824, carries on the old home farm in this township; and Caleb (1826-74), was also a farmer in Clifford. Elias Burdick worked as a ship-carpenter in Rhode Island, but after removing to Pennsylvania, in 1815, he became a farmer, located in the Burdick neighborhood, and was a consistent member of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church. The only child of Deacon and Mrs. Philip Burdick is Dolly, born January 16, 1838, the wife of D. B. Carpenter, a jeweler. Two of their children, George and Myrabella, died in childhood, and their son, Frank B. Carpenter, born December 2, 1867, has been educated by his grandfather, the deacon. He studied two years at the Alfred University, New York, and then became connected with the Gaskell Business College, Jersey City, as teacher of book-keeping and arithmetic.
John Westgate came from Rhode Island to Mount Pleasant in 1816, and the following year to a farm three miles northeast from Dundaff, where he died, more than eighty years old. His descendants still live in Clifford and Herrick. William Tinker came at a later day and settled southwest from Westgate, where members of the family still remain. James and John, sons, were taxables in 1842. Robert Tinker is of another generation. The family has made substantial improvements and are among the most prosperous citizens of Clifford.
In 1818, among other new arrivals in the township, were Nathan Callender, James Green, Reuben Arnold and Lawton Gardner. Asa Dimock and his sons, Asa and Warren, and Philip Stewart came from Herrick, and a number of them settled at Dundaff. George Brownell located at Lonsdale, occupying the place where Peter Rynearson had previously been. Benjamin Brownell was at Dundaff. A few years later Martin Decker settled on the farm where now lives his son, James C., and where he reared other sons, -Nelson, Peter and Chauncey. In the same neighborhood Peter Rivenburg finally lived and died, at the home of his son, Hiram R. He came from Albany County, N. Y., and located on the Clifford road below Dundaff, on a farm where some improvements had been made by James Coil, Jr. His son, William, lives in the same neighborhood. Orrin has deceased. Jones lives in the State of New York; John, at Dundaff, and Henry, northeast from Clifford. The latter is the father of the Rev. Sidney W. Rivenburg, missionary in Assam, and Josephine W., a thoroughly educated instructor of music in the Keystone Academy.
In 1820 Levi Chamberlain came from Gibson and opened a public-house on the pike east of West Clifford, but, four years later, was west of that hamlet, on the farm of his son, Pulaski W., where he died in 1878, at the age of eighty-six years. Northeast from him was Isaac Truesdell, the first settler on the west slope of Elk Mountain, and James Rolles, the father of twenty-two children, also came in 1822. Samuel Miller was here earlier, and followed the occupation indicated by his name. He was the father of William D. Miller, of Lenox, Charles H., of Harford, and of daughters who married Elisha Bell and Joel Tingley. George W. Mackey came from Rensselaerville, Albany County, N. Y., about 1824, and located on the Harding farm, near Clifford Corners, on the farm now occupied by Monroe Callendar. He was a hatter by trade, and followed the hatter business and farming. He died in 1845, aged fifty-six, and his wife, Elizabeth Samuels, died in 1864, aged seventy-five. They had several children, Rhoda; Parmelia, wife of William Bolton, a printer; David, a farmer and active abolitionist, died in New Milford in 1869; Zophar. R. S. Mackey, in 1849, purchased one hundred and sixty acres of timber land, one-half mile east of Truesdell school-house, which he sold to D. Richards, and in 1856 removed to Lathrop.
THE WELSH must have the credit of clearing up most of the slopes of Elk Mountain and making the substantial improvements now to be seen in the northwestern part of the township. They have here proven themselves an honest, industrious class of people, capable of the highest citizenship. The pioneers among them were Thomas Watkins and wife, Hannah, natives of Carmarthenshire, South Wales. They left that country in 1831, and after a voyage of two months landed in New York. The following spring found them at Carbondale, where Mr. Watkins obtained work in a coal-mine, but on the 10th of May, 1833, they came to Clifford, where they located on a tract of land near the southwest base of the South Knob of the Elk Mountain. With the exception of a small clearing below him, everything was a dense woods, with a heavy undergrowth, which afforded hiding-places for deer, elk and many noxious animals, which were so bold that it made the work of protecting domestic animals difficult. The work of clearing progressed slowly, but Mr. Watkins was a man of strong constitution (being full six feet high and measured nearly four feet around the chest), and the forests at last yielded to his efforts. Before his death, in May, 1870, he had cleared up a large farm, which is still in possession of Hannah Watkins, (now in her eighty-eighth year), and one of her sons, Watkin W. Watkins. Another son, John, lives in the same locality. For more than a year the Watkins family was deprived of the society of its countrymen, but in 1834 a number of Welsh families located
around them and made permanent the Welsh settlement, which, with the families living in Gibson and Herrick, now numbers more then three hundred souls. Those coming in 1834 were Zachariah Jenkins, David Reese, Wm. P. Davis, David Moses, David Anthony, Rev. Thomas Edwards, David Edwards and Robert Ellis and their families. The latter was a native of North Wales, and came with the others from New York. He located near the head of Long Pond, on the farm where his son Robert afterwards lived. The rest of the immigrants in this party were from South Wales. They left their native country May 21, 1834, from Swansea, in a brig bound for Quebec. The vessel was only of two hundred tons burden, not much larger than a canal-boat. There were on board the captain and five sailors, with thirty-four passengers. Most of the latter were religious people-Dissenters-now "coming to a country where they could be freed from paying tithes and supporting a church they did not believe in." They held religious meetings on board the ship, and as they had cross-winds the greater part of their voyage, they were seven weeks on the water before landing at Quebec. Three families among the passengers remained in Canada; the others came to Clifford. For many years the families endured all the hardships of pioneers, often carrying heavy burdens to mills, and from Carbondale, twelve miles distant. The few cows they owned browsed in the woods during the summer season, and, as they often failed to come home at night, their owners were obliged to hunt them up, and they were often lost in the woods.
Zacharias Jenkins settled east of Long Pond, where Samuel Owen now lives. He was accompanied by his son Evan, who married a daughter of Wm. P. Davis, and has since removed to a farm near the line of Gibson. Ann, a daughter of Zacharias Jenkins, was the first person buried in the Welsh settlement. Mr. Jenkins, when sixty-seven years of age, was lost in a swamp near Mud Pond. Night overtook him, and, as wolves in great numbers, and an occasional bear or panther, roved through the woods, he climbed a tall pine for safety. Here he remained through the night, the wolves howling around him. In the morning he followed the outlet of the pond through water and thickets, until he came to the Milford and Oswego turnpike, within one mile of where Lonsdale now is. When asked how he spent the night, he replied, "Happy, praying and singing most of the time." He is remembered as "an excellent singer and a good Christian." Evan Jenkins was the father of sons named Thomas, living in Wisconsin; William, who died in the army; John, living in Australia, has recently been elected a member of parliament; David, on the Pacific coast; and Zachariah, the present sheriff of the county.
Wm. P. Davis settled on the turnpike, where he died at the age of sixty-six. His son William moved to Iowa, and Thomas R. is living near Lonsdale. The daughters were married to Richard Bell, Evan Jenkins and William Leek. A son of Thomas R. (Samuel P.) died in New York City, in March, 1886, while pursuing a course in a medical college. Another son, Thomas J., is an attorney at Montrose.
Henry Davis, a native of Glamorganshire, came to America in.l832, but did not come from Carbondale until 1836. He was the father of Samuel Davis, a teacher of repute, who died while superintendent of the Ashland schools, in August, 1886, at the age of thirty-seven years. A little earlier, David J. and David E. Thomas, Even Jones (from North Wales), Job Nicholas, John Michael and other families joined the settlement. Others coming at later periods were equally prominent in the affairs of the neighborhood. Their names appear in a history of the Welsh Church, whose establishment and maintenance was one of the first cares of this people, and whose teachings have aided to make them a temperate and intelligent community. Many of the young people have become teachers; a number graduating from the normal schools of the State, among them being daughters of David L. Richards and Rev. Daniel Daniels. A son of the former has become a successful book publisher. The settlement and development of Clifford progressed rapidly after 1830. Twelve years later, in 1842, the taxables were as follows:
Roswell S. Ames, John Atkin, John Atkin, Jr., Benjamin Ayres, Simeon P. Avery, Soloman Arnold, Joseph Arnold, Robert Arnott, John Anderson, Jr., John Alworth, Milton S. Alworth, David Anthony, Richard Anthony, Lewis Anthony, Henry Armstrong, Jonathan Burns, Ellery C. Burns, Rufus Barritt, Christian Bruce, Reuben Bailey, Thos. Burch, Joseph Babson, Goodwin Baker, Alpheus B. Baker, Daniel Baker., Wheaton C. Barney, Miles B. Benedict, Abraham Burdick, Kendall Burdick, Zebediah Burdick, Philip Burdick, Simeon B. Burdick, This. Burdick, Elias Burdick, Luther Y. Burdick, Stephen Burdick, Thomas Burdick (2d), John Baker, Artemas Baker, Archibald Browning, John Browning, James Bradford, George Brownell, James Brownell, Wm. S.. Baldwin, so1omon Bolton, Levi Bell, sterling Bell, Henry Bennett, Wines Bennett, Asa. Brundage, Benjamin Brownell, Alexander Burns, Jonathan Burns, Richard Bell, Job Briggs, Charles Blackman, John Cottrell, John Cottrell, Jr., Thomas B. Cottrell, Zenas Carpenter. Artemas Carpenter, Ezra Carpenter, William R. Coleman, Garrett Coleman, William Coleman, Alexander Coleman,. Ezra Coleman, Jeremiah Coleman, John Coleman, Ellery Crandall, Ellery Crandall, Jr, Hyman G. Coates, Slocum Carr, Peter Campbell, Enoch Chambers, James Chambers, Abraham Granter. Jacob G. Cuddeback, Levi Chamberlain, Pulaski W. Chamberlain, Tizra Callender, Stephen Callender, Plies Callender, Wm. Coil, Wm. Coil, Jr., James Coil, Jr., George Coil, John Cell, Henry Coil, James Coil, Charles Coil, John Chandler, Ezra Chandler, Thomas Chandler, Levi Dearborn, James Douglass, Philip Dow, Martin Decker, Chauncey Decker, Nelson Decker, Peter Decker, Peter Dennis, Thomas Doud, John Doud, Harrison Doud, Franklin Doud, Benjamin Daniels, Walter Dickey, William P. Davis, Wm. Davis, Henry Davis, Lyman Doolittle, Alfred Dart, Horace Dart, Oliver Daniels Benjamin Ellis. Robert Ellis, Jonathan T. Ellis, David Edwards, Charles P. Edwards, Walter Forrester, James Finn, Alvah Finn, Clark Finn, William S. Finn, Wm. Finn, Urial Finn, Joseph Faulkner, George Gladhill, James Green, William T. Gritman, Peter Graham, Benjamin Galbraith, Hubbard Hadsell, David W. Halstead, Alanson Halstead, Edward Halford, Robert Hunter, Jr, Peleg Hopkins. Robert L. Hunter, Sloane Hamilton, John W. Hazard, Henry C. Hesley, Stephen Hodgson, Samuel Hodgson, John W. Hazard, Henry C Healey, Francis Hull, William Hill, Aaron Hawver, Hiram Hawver, William Hughes, Edward Hughes, John Howells, John Irvin, . Stephen Johnson, Benjamin W. Johnson, Isaac Johnson, William,
Jackson, Elizabeth Jackson, Evan Jones, Evan Jenkins, Jenkin Jenkins, Thomas Kelley, Nathan Kelley, Orrin D. King, Holloway Lowry. George Linnin, Orvis Lewis, Miller P. Lorne, John McCalla, Richard Meredith, William Meredith, Archibald McNeal, Abiathar Milllard, Dudley Maxon, Edward Maxon, Isaac V. Maxon. Charles K. Tiller, Charles Miller, William D. Miller, Zebulon P. Marcy, Daniel Moses, William Mason, John Michael, David Mackey, George Mackey, Samuel Nutting, Thomas Nutting, George Nutting, George W. Northrop, Abner Norton, Dorastus Norton, Roger Orvis, Edward Oram, Sidney G. Gram, Noah Owens, George Patton, Asher Peck, Samuel Payne, Samuel Payne, Jr., Edmund Payne, Thomas Powell, Gideon Palmar, Gideon W. Palmer. Thomas P. Phinny, Elisha Phinny, Joman H. Phelps, Jesse Packer, James Parker, John Patterson, John Powell, William Powell, Jeremiah Rounds, Duty Reynolds, James Reynolds,.Jenkin Reynolds, John Reynolds, Addison C. Read, Peter Rivenburg, James Rolles. Jr., David Rees, Harvey Rogers, Jas. Rollins, George Salsbury, David B. Stivers, Joel Stivers, Ziba Stivers, Benj. Smith, Ransford Smith, Ransford Smith, Jr., Arthur Smith, Jacob S. Smith, David Smith, John Smith, Burgess Smith, Joseph B. Slocum, Wm. H. Slocum, Isaac Stiles, Eben H. Stephens, William Stephens, John Stephens, William Spencer, Isaiah Spencer, John Spaden, Joel Steiner, Jr., Philip I. Stewart, Mahlon C. Stewart, James C. Stewart, William Shannon, Stephen St. John, Otis C. Severance, Jonathan Stage, Benjah Tingley, Isaac Tripp, Orrin Thatcher, Jeremiah Tingley, John Tinker, James Tinker, Adney C. Tomkins, Perry H. Tuttle, Isaac Truesdell, Wm. Tripp, David Thomas, David E. Thomas, John I. Whitman, Charles S. Whitman, John Westgate, George D. Westgate, William Wells, James Wells, Wright Wells. John W. Wells, Sidney B. Wells, Charter H. Wells, John Wells, Adam Wells, Eliphalet Wells, Wm. Wells (2nd), Henry B. Wheeler, Silas G. Weaver, Abraham Weaver, Henry A. Weaver, Samuel T. Wood, Abel Wright, William Wilbur, Lewis White, Daniel Wedeman, Henry A. Williams, Otis Williams, Charles D. Wilson, Dimock Wilson, Amzi Wilson, Michael West, Charles M. West, Thomas Watkins, Abel Wright, Dilton Yarrington, Alanson Parrington, Sinton Yarrington.
JOHN HALSTEAD.--among the older families of this county is that of Halsted. John Halstead, the first of the family in Pennsylvania, a native of Orange County, N. Y., with his wife, Rachael Knapp, settled near Pittston (then Lackawanna) on the Susquehanna river, remained a few years and removed to Clifford township, Susquehanna County, locating near Elkdale. Their son, Alanson D. Halstead, born in Orange County in 1791, married Phebe WelIs (1797-1880), whose father, James Wells (1750-1839), was one of the pioneer business men of this vicinity. His wife was Katie Van Auken, and their children were James, Lydia (Mrs. Hartsey), John, William, Mary (Mrs. James Finn), Jane (Mrs. Hall Stephens first, and now the widow of William Coil, living in Lenox, over ninety-two years old), Phebe (Mrs. A. D. Halstead) and Eliphalet Wells. Of these, only Jane and Eliphalet are now alive.
Afer the marriage of their son, Alanson D. Halstead, Mr. and Mrs. John Halstead removed to Livingstone County, N. Y., where they both died.
Deacon Alanson D. Halstead was major of militia for a long time, and was an active and intelligent man. In church-work he was one of the main pillars of the Elkdale Baptist Church, which he assisted in organizing and building, and in which he served as deacon until his death. His children were David W. Halstead, ordained to the ministry in Wayne County, filled various charges until his death, in 1886; Catharine, the widow of Alexander Coleman, a farmer, lives in Scranton; Rachel was married to Cyril Peck, a. farmer, and died in 1860; John; Nathaniel, now a carpenter and builder, lives in Scranton; Rebecca, the wife of Samuel Arnold, a farmer near Dundaff; Margaret, married Sylvenus Doolittle, a carpenter, and lives in Iowa; Charles, a carpenter, lives in Scranton; Silas, a farmer at Elkdale; Mary and Sidney, died in youth; and Hugh, who died in childhood.
The early days of John Halstead, who was born December 8, 1821, were spent upon the farm and in the saw-mill of his father. He learned the trade of a blacksmith and carried on that business at Elkdale for about a year; was a farmer on the Elk Mountain three years, before selling out in 1847. After a couple of years' blacksmithing at the Corners he began a mercantile business there, and, for a period of seventeen years, was a main instrument in drawing business and residents to this pleasant village. He was the first postmaster of the place, and served as such for sixteen years. In 1865 he retired from the store business, in order to give entire attention to the growing demands of his live-stock branch; and in this department his close and intelligent care and judicious management have built up a large and profitable enterprise. His purchases are made in Susquehanna, Lackawanna and Wayne Counties, and the stock is shipped alive to New York and New Jersey markets. During the last twenty-five years he has been extensively engaged in buying wool, in connection with Azur Lathrop, of Montrose, and others, and has probably paid out to the farmers of Clifford township and adjacent territory more money for their products than any other man ever in the country. His warmest sympathies have always been manifested in the cause of temperance, and he became one of the charter members of the Good Templar's Lodge at Clifford, which was organized in 1869 and remained in operation about three years. After the sale of his store property, twenty years ago, he invested in farm property, and now has the satisfaction of seeing several handsome residences located upon his land and forming a part of the flourishing village of Clifford. In 1843 he married Susan A. (1822-84), the daughter of Artemas (1782-1835) and Huldah Nash (1790-1859) Baker. Mr. Baker was a native of Massachusetts, and settled with his parents in old Luzerne County now (Lackawanna), Penn., whence he removed, in 1840, to Susquehanna County and became a farmer. His children were John Baker, a farmer and carpenter, died 1883; Lucy, the widow of Alfred Merriman, a farmer of Clifford; Nash, a retired merchant, living at Clifford Corners; Mercy, married J. L. Merryman, Esq., of Franklin township, and died in 1866; Ann E., who died in 1885, was the wife of William R. Gardner, a farmer of Lenox ; Susan A.. became Mrs. John Halstead; and Eliza, the wife of Chauncey Decker, a farmer of Lenoxville. The children of John and Susan A. (Baker) Halstead are Rachel L., wife of Hiram Rivenburg, of Clifford; Charles L.,
was a merchant at Clifford, and in 1869 married Bina Seamans (he died in 1878, leaving one son); Celia S., married, in 1878, Ira J. Wetherby, a farmer of Clifford; and Rosa Dell Halstead, now at home. The three daughters of Mr. Halstead are members of the Clifford Baptist Church.
BUSINESS INTERESTS.--Until within recent years the people of Clifford were almost exclusively engaged in agricultural pursuits, the other occupations being confined to a few persons in the hamlets and small villages which are the recognized trading or milling centers of the township. Forest City, with its remarkable growth and industries, employing hundreds of men, is the exception.
On the stream below Dundaff, William Finn had a pioneer saw-mill, which did good service, and later mills were operated at other sites on that stream by Peter Rivenburg, John Barker and Eben H. Stephens, all of which have passed away, and were the only industries at those places.
On the East Branch of the Tunkhannock, two miles northeast from Dundaff, was started the first business place in Clifford. As early as 1806 James Wells put up a small grist-mill at that point, which was swept sway by a freshet. The following year he and Ashel Norton united in building another mill, which was also carried away by a flood in the course of a few years. Before 1814 Lemuel Norton had in operation another mill, and as roads were now located down the valley and up from Wilkes-Barre, the place began to partake of the nature of a business point. Ebenezer Baker was the owner of a store, the first in the township, and Joel Stevens was a clothier, but having his shop on the hill southeast from the mills, where he pressed and dyed cloths as early as 1814. The existence of these industries caused this locality to be called the City, a term which is not yet forgotten in connection with it. In 1818 John Atworth became the owner of the mill, which, with other property, soon after passed into the hands of Colonel Gould Phinny and Horace G. Phelps. In 1823 they began other enterprises, and the place now became known as Phinnytown. Later it was called East Clifford, and at present is properly known as Elkdale. Like many other inland hamlets, it has declined in importance, instead of keeping pace with the general improvements of the country.
Elkdale has a post-office, store, mill, church and school-house, and half a dozen dwellings. The post office was established at the store of G. G. Wells, in December, 1877, as a private office, but since 1881 has been a regular office in the postal service. A daily mail from Dundaff is supplied. The firm of Gould & Phelps not only operated the mills, but also distilled liquor and had a store. In 1831 the McCalla Brothers (John, James and William) became the owners of the mills and distillery, which they carried on extensively, the latter until 1857. In its best days the mill had three runs of stones and had a large capacity. In 1862 it was owned by William McCalla, who died that fall from injuries received in the mill. It is still owned by his heirs but is operated in a small way, only. The saw-mill and distillery buildings have been removed.
John Wells was an early cloth fuller, and Horace G. Phelps had a factory in which carding and spinning was also done. Both removed to Dundaff before 1830. The latter also had a large tin-shop, in which J. B. Slocum worked as a tinner. Later, Archibald Browning opened a small store at the Four Corners. Thomas Halstead and H. W. Johnson afterwards traded a short time in a dwelling-house. Since 1867 the present store, by the Wells Brothers, has been carried on. In the spring of 1887 a new industry was established in the hamlet-a co-operative creamery being gotten in operation by the farmers of this vicinity. Lees than a mile above the McCalla mills Holloway and James W. Lowry built a saw-mill in 1852, raising the frame without the use of liquor for the men who assisted-an unusual event in that period. Prior to this, Thomas Ustich had a small woolen factory at the site, operating several looms. After 1835, John James did some carding. The present owner of the Mill is Olney Rounds. It has circular-saws and a good capacity. Near by, Emery Mapes has had a store since 1884. Two miles below Elkdale, where the Oswego turnpike crosses the East Branch, Samuel Weston had small saw and grist-mills, which were abandoned before 1835. He also kept a small store. The frames of the mill buildings and the raceway remain, but the place has long since been farm property. Westward from this point a number of public-houses were kept from 1820 to 1845. Lyman Lewis was at the Leek place, but had first kept a tavern on the John Bolton place. On what is known as the Hughes farm, Elias Bell and John Alworth had taverns; and Levi Chamberlain had a public-house eight years on the farm now owned by P. W. Chamberlain. All the buildings have long since been devoted to farm uses. and the turnpike which was once so extensively traveled is now a highway of least importance than many other roads in that township.
James W. Lowry.--The progenitor of this branch of the Lowry family in the United States was John Lowry, who came from the north of Ireland and located at Lowell, Mass. There exists a family tradition to the effect that this young man was the son of a nobleman emigrating in response to the request of an uncle, the Lowell who founded Lowell, Mass., and that owing to a shipwreck he lost all papers and documents, barely escaping with his life and a roll of gold coin which had been placed around his waist for safe keeping. He married Sabra Hunt and raised a
------------------- 1 There is also a tradition that the place took its name from the fact that a solitary preacher here took for his text: "Up, get ye out of this place, for the Lord will destroy this city."
large family. One of his descendants, George Lowry, with his wife, Mary, removed to New Jersey late in the eighteenth century and settled at Sparta, where he carried on the trade of coopering for a number of years. In 1806 they came to Pennsylvania, first settling in Luzerne County and some few years later in Clifford township, this county, where he bought farm-land, which he lost through a flaw in the title and shortly thereafter died. Mrs. Lowry survived her husband many years and married again; she died in 1870, aged nearly a hundred years.
Their children were Holloway; Nancy, married Chauncey Deming; Polly, married Jeremiah Tuttle; John; Catharine, married P. S. Foster; George; Sarah, married Orrin Griswold; and Isaac. Of these, John is a business man in Kansas; George is a farmer near Elkdale; and Sarah resides at Carbondale; the others have deceased. Holloway Lowry (1801-75) was born at Sparta and accompanied his parents in their removals. In 1822 he bought land in this township, which, through a defective title, he also lost. In 1823 he bought the farm upon which, after his marriage to Sophia Wells, of Clifford, in 1824, he located, and where he remained until his death. He also purchased a farm on the eastern exposure of the South Knob of the Elk Mountain. His habits were very methodical, and so exact was he in his business affairs that after his decease his estate was settled by his son, James W., at a remarkably small expense. His children were Charles, born 1826, a farmer in Lackawanna County; Martha, born 1828, wife of Rev. G. M. Dimmick, now of Faribault County, Minn.; James W.; John, born 1832, a farmer in Lackawanna County; Amy, born 1834, now Mrs. J. F. Kinback, of Carbondale; Sarah (1836-63) was the wife of Elias E. Lowrie, of Lackawanna County; Wright, born 1838, a farmer in Lackawanna County; Clark, born 1840, a merchant at Scranton; Benjamin, 1842, a carpenter and builder in Luzerne County; Hezekiah, born 1844, a farmer and stock dealer, living on the old homestead; Samantha, born 1847, married, first, Thomas Kelly, of Gibson township, and is now the wife of John Philbin, of Carbondale, Pa. James W. Lowry, born July 18, 1830, in Clifford township, obtained an academical education at Dundaff and Waverly, Pa., and was a teacher in the public schools of Susquehanna and Wayne Counties for seven years. He married, in 1854, purchased a farm near Elkdale, on the East Branch of the Tunkhannock Creek, and commenced housekeeping. In connection with his father he erected a sawmill upon the property and carried on lumbering for eight years, the last seven years as the sole proprietor, and then bought the present homestead at Elkdale. When the rebels threatened Pennsylvania, during the recent war, Mr. Lowry, with his three brothers, joined a company of volunteers and proceeded to Harrisburg to offer their services to the Governor, and were encamped on Capitol Hill. Before their acceptance by the State authorities word came that the rebels had been driven from Pennsylvania soil and, the threatened danger being happily averted, the company of emergency men were returned to their homes by authority. Mr. Lowry had been identified with political matters for over twenty-five years; was school director during fifteen years and justice of the peace eleven years. In 1878 he was nominated by the Republican party for member of the State Legislature, and, although defeated by the combined Democratic and Greenback parties, had the satisfaction of running far above his party vote, he coming within thirty votes of an election. He is a member of the Baptist Church and for many years has been clerk of the Elkdale Church. He is associated with Rev. Dr. J. H. Harris and E. M. Peck as a committee appointed by the Abington Association in the interest and for the supervision of its Sunday-school work. 'Squire Lowry is an active and enterprising man, interested in farming and bee culture, in the agricultural implement business and in the purchase and sale of farm stock quite largely. In 1854 he married Alma (born November 17, 1830), the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Worth) Taylor, a native of Luzerne County, whose father, Thomas Taylor, born in 1797, at Providence, Pa., is still a resident of Lackawanna County. Their children are Wells J., Milton W., Samuel E., Eva L., and Susie A.; also George E., who died in childhood. The 'Squire is a firm believer in the value of a liberal education and has given his children excellent advantages; all have attended the Keystone Academy, at Factoryville and the eldest, Wells J., is a practicing physician at Harford. Dr. W. J. Lowry has been twice married--first, to Celia M. Fuller, and after her death to Flora M. Hammond, who has borne him one child, Mabel. Milton W. Lowry, the second son, applied himself to the legal profession and completed the full course at the Pennsylvania State College. He was admitted through a competitive examination. He followed this by reading law in the office of Hon. W. W. Watson, of Scranton, and was admitted to the bar of Lackawanna County in 1886. He married Annie M., the adopted daughter of Clark Lowry, of Scranton.
At the intersection of the Carbondale and Oswego turnpikes a. small hamlet has sprung up, which has received the name of West Clifford. The beginning of the place was the steam saw-mill of' William, James and John Lee, which was put up to convert the heavy hemlock forests of this section into lumber. When first started the product was about a million feet per year. Though not operated so extensively, it is still largely carried on by the present proprietor, J. B. Stephens. H. W. Johnson opened a store which was last kept in 1883 by W. H. Hasbrouck. The hamlet has an Evangelical Church, shops and a few residences.
Northeast, on the outlet of Long Pond, John Chandler erected a saw-mill about 1830, which was operated
Previous Section (Part
One) Next section (Part
for Clifford township extracted from the Stocker Centennial History of Susquehanna County
Back to the Stocker Centennial History of Susquehanna County index page
[DSData homepage] [DSData company] [DSData genealogy] [DSData olives]