PLEASE NOTE: These electronic pages are for the use of individual researchers, and may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.
Burrows' Hollow, was evidently intended to divert the western travel through Pennsylvania. Oney Sweet had a hotel on the Newburg turnpike, and kept a stage-house. His son, Almon Sweet, resides there now. Raymond, another son, owned a farm near by his father's. A. J. Chamberlain started a hotel where William Colwell has his apple-jack distillery. Cornelius Lupton has a hotel now. In 1840 Eliab started a store where Barrett & Foster now have their store. C. P. Hawley did a good business here. Ingalls then had the Burrows store until he failed for about forty thousand dollars. A co-operative store was then started, but it did not last long. Nathaniel C. Curtis then bought it, and still continues the business. Hawley sold to George H. Wells, who did business twelve years, followed by S. P. Cushman and Foster & Barrett. John Tarbox built a small tannery about 1822, and carried on shoemaking and tanning until about 1843, and sold to Jasper D. Stiles, who carried on the business with about thirty vats. His assignees sold the property to Hayden & Somers, who are just starting the tannery again.
Alvin Clinton came here in 1827 and started blacksmithing and cleared up a farm. He raised a family and died in 1883, aged seventy-seven. His son Edwin resides on the old place.
Dr. Robert Chandler raised a large family. His son Charles lived in Gibson many years and finally died where his grandson Charles resides, in Jackson township. George and Ezra went West. Henry died in Thomson, John in Deposit and Thomas lived in Herrick. Abigail was the wife of Oney Sweet, of Gibson; Polly, wife of Moses Chamberlain; and Betsey wife of Henry Perry. They all raised large families.
Ezekiel Barnes came to Gibson about 1800 and lived on the hill from Gibson towards Kentuck. Nehemiah Barnes, his father, was a Revolutionary soldier, and had four sons,-Amos, Ezekiel, Russell and William, Amos and Ezekiel settled in Gibson on farms adjoining each other of two hundred acres each. They cleared up large farms, and each had two orchards and a sugar bush. They raised large families and were among the enterprising men of the town, but none of their descendants reside there now. Wallace, a son of Amos, lives near the line. Nathan Guile lived near the Barnes'. His son Jason lived there until he died. Jonathan Smith lived on the next farm towards Kentuck. His son David resided there many years.
Oney Sweet chopped the first tree where Almon Sweet lives, in 1807, and erected a small frame house ten years later, in 1817. He erected the large part and fitted up the premises for hotel-keeping. The house was well known as a stage-house for twenty years. In 1848 the hotel business was discontinued. Taverns were about two miles apart on the Newburg road. From New Milford traveling eastward the first place was the old Mott stand; next Avery's; then Sweet's; Kennedy Hill tavern, which was started by Thayer; the Taylor stand at Smiley Hollow; Dr. Day's, in Herrick; thence into Wayne County. Dr. Chandler died at the foot of the hill from Sweet',. Moses Chamberlain was a brother-in-law of Sweet's, both having married into Dr. Chandler's family. Noah Potter, Milton, Charles and Daniel Tingley located on the road to Jackson. In 1817 Charles Case was located on a farm subsequently occupied by his son, Wm. T. Case, Esq.
James Washburn was the first justice of the peace. Among those who have served since are Wm. T. Case, C. P. Edwards, Timothy Carpenter, Henry Abel, Robert Ellis, Rufus Barnes, Herman Webber, William Maxey, C. W. Resseguie.
Wm. Dougherty came to Burrows' Hollow in 1814, just after the War of 1812, in which he was a soldier. He built the second frame house in Burrows' Hollow, near the pond where Gilbert Stiles lives, and started the first store in 1816~17. He borrowed money of Mallery, of Wilkes-Barre. David Bryant and Harvey Chandler drew the goods, consisting of whiskey, tobacco, etc., from Newburg. He sold a pound of tobacco for a bushel of rye, and a pound of tea for $1.25. He could get no money; nothing but barter in exchange, and being unable to pay Mallory, he took the business and sold it to Urbane Burrows in 1819. Dorothy sunk the first tannery at the Hollow, having four vats. He ran the tannery a number of years and sold to Tarbox about 1825. He and Nathan Claflin were the first Royal Arch Masons in the county. He moved to Salem, Pa., where he started another tannery. He had four daughters,-Harriet, Mary, Emeline and Nancy. Harriet is the wife of Adin Larrabee. Emeline is the wife of L. D. Benson Jasper Stiles bought out John Tarbox in 1837. He was a shoemaker, and in 1840 commenced tanning again. He enlarged the tannery until he tanned about five thousand sides per year. He bought N.E. Kennedy's store in 1877, which caused his failure in 1884. C. P. Edwards is a carriage-maker at Burrows' Hollow.p>A Mr. Brown is said to have lived here about 1796. Wright Chamberlain bought a farm of Joshua Jay, May, 1796, on the eastern slope of what was called Putt's Hill, about a mile east of Burrows' Hollow, and here he spent the remainder of his life. He had left Litchfield, Ct., one year previous, and 'set out with Denman Coe to visit the State of Pennsylvania.' From his diary, now preserved by Silas Chamberlin, we quote the result:
'I bought a possession at Hopbottom, and on the eleventh of June (1795), I set out with Coe's family to carry them into Pennsylvania, and worked at Hopbottom that year from the 26th day of June until the 8th of September following, when I set out for Litchfield, in order to move my family to Hopbottom. But, as I passed Nine Partners, Mr. John Tyler persuaded me to purchase a possession there. Jan. 21st, a.d.. 1796, I bid farewell to the State of Connecticut, and on Feb 26th, 1796, I arrived with my family in Nine Partners.'
"In August following he removed his family to his
new purchase on Putt's Hill, now in Gibson. After the death of his first wife, in 1797, he married Sally Holdridge, daughter of the first pioneer of Herrick. He had three wives and twenty-four children. (Some assert that there were twenty-eight in all, but the record closes with the birth of his son Jackson, in 1883.) His first wife's family consisted of seven boys and one girl. Moses C., who died in Gibson, August, 1870, at the age of eighty-three, was one of those boys, and was eight years old when his father left Connecticut. James was another, and was the father of Silas Chamberlin, now of New Milford, but who was born in Gibson, and lived here sixty-seven years. There are but three persons surviving who have lived in the township as long as he: viz., the widow of Ezekiel Barnes (a daughter of John Belcher, Sr.) and Corbet Pickering, of South Gibson. Wright Chamberlin, Jr,, another brother, lived for many years on the river between Susquehanna Depot and Great Bend. He died recently. Wright Chamberlin, Sr., died in 1842, aged eighty-four. He had been a Revolutionary soldier. For many years he was a deacon in the Presbyterian Church on Union Hill. Prior to 1800 he was a licensed 'taverner'in his log house on the high ground, a short distance west of Lewis Evans' present house, which he built two or three rods from the house raised by Mr. Chamberlin October, 1814. At a later date in his diary, he says : 'I moved my new house down to the well.' The first house stood on the old road, which, in 1807-10, was superseded by the Newburg turnpike."
Moses Chamberlain first, was a native of Litchfield County, Conn. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary army, and after the war moved to Vermont, where he married, He removed to Franklin County, N.Y., and that county being on the border line of warfare during the War of 1812, he removed to this county, and located where his son, S. S. Chamberlain, live and died. Each of the senior brothers, Moses and Wright, had a brother Moses. Silas Chamberlain died near Burrows' Hollow. His sons, Roswell, Judson and Orville, live in the township. Samuel Chamberlain's son, Wilson A., resides on the homestead, Moses W., son of Moses Chamberlain, resides near Susquehanna.
URBANE BURROWS, son of Rev. Daniel Burrows, was born near Groton, Conn., in 1798. He obtained a good common-school education, and understood surveying and drafting. His father was a Methodist preacher, and was sent to Congress as a Democrat from Connecticut, for two terms. Urbane, years afterwards, adopted his father's religion, but not his politics. He was a staunch Republican. In 1819, when Urbane was twenty-one, he came into Pennsylvania, attracted here doubtless by his brother-in-law, David Tarbox, who had preceded him a year or two. He bought Dougherty's stock of goods and engaged in the mercantile business for many years, and by his push and enterprise built up Burrows' Hollow, gained a competence. When a middle-aged man, he was transacting some business with a man who had family prayers, and requested him to take part. He refused, not being a professor of religion. He was admonished by the man, and went home and resolved to lead a new life He united with the church of his fathers, and became its main pillar and leading supporter. He gave the largest part toward building the church at Burrows' Hollow, contributed five hundred dollars and a lot towards the parsonage, and left three thousand dollars as a permanent fund for the church. He also contributed nine hundred dollars toward the graded school building at Burrows' Hollow.
He was precise and systematic in all that he did. His love of order was extreme; every six months an exact statement of his business was made. He was prompt in meeting his own engagements, and wanted others to do the same. His dun was equal to a sheriff with a search-warrant; consequently he seldom lost a debt, although he never sued any one. He was a clean, clear, cold-cut gentleman. Taciturn, reserved and exclusive in his notions, he was generally considered aristocratic by his neighbors. He gave himself just so many minutes to travel to a given place, and then drove his horses furiously, up hill and down, in order to get to his point of destination in time. His wife was Emeline Lord, and they had no children. He was elected associate judge in 1856, and was Sunday-school superintendent and class-leader in the Methodist Church for many years. He died July 15, 1882, aged eighty-three, and is buried in the burying-ground near tbe church which owes so much to his generosity. Joshua Burrows, a nephew of his, occupies his former residence.
PHYSICIANS.-Dr. Robert Chandler occupied the "Skyrin" house as early as 1804. Dr. Denny lived in the Tunkhannock Valley ten years later. Dr. Wm. W. Tyler was in the township a short time. Dr. Chester Tyler came from Hartwick, Otsego County, N Y., and located on Kennedy Hill in 1825, and practiced there until he died, in 1846. In 1830, Dr. Wm. W. Pride, a returned missionary from the Choctaws, practiced at Burrows' Hollow about four years. In April, 1834, Dr. Jonathan W. Brundage came and practiced in Gibson until his death, in 1861. Of his eight children, Stephen, Geo. C. and Jane, wife of Elmanzer Walker, reside in Gibson. G. N. Brundage, a hrother, and D. F. Brundage, a son of J. W. Brundage, all practiced here; also Norman B., son of Dr. E. L. Brundage, another brother. Dr. Chas. Drinker was here a short time. Dr. A. P. Miller practiced here many years. Dr. A. B. Woodward, son of Artemas Woodward, an eclectic physician, practiced twenty-nine years in his native town ; he also had a store a short time. Drs. Marsh, Rogers and Arthur Brundage are among the later physicians.
SCHOOLS.-There was a log school-house about twelve by fourteen near James Bennett's as early as
1804, George Woodward thinks. There were but four pupils at first. Lois Potter, afterwards wife of Otis Stearns, was an early teacher there. Miss Molly Post taught in 1807, and Charles Bennett was one of her pupils in a log house with a bark roof. Lyman Richardson taught a school in Captain Potter's house in 1808-09. Mr. Follet taught early. In 1828 Rev. Rosman Ingalls had a select school for six months it the old Presbyterian Church on Union Hill, and in 1829, in the school-house near Mr. Abel's. The Gibson Academy on Kennedy Hill was built mainly through the influence of Joseph Washburn, Esq., President of the Board of Trustees. It was ready in 1841. Miss P. S. Ingalls, Mr. Maxon, J. J. Frazier and Mr, Blatchicy taught select schools there. Jane Chase and Harriet Chandler are remembered as early teachers here. The first school in the southern part of the township was taught in the house of Captain Payne in 1821. In the same year or the year following Elisha Williams, James Chandler, Captain Powers, David Carpenter, Oliver Payne, Eleazer, Artemas, and George Woodward contributed towards building a school-house in Columbia District, so called because most of the old settlers came from Columbia, Conn. The building was erected in 1822 by Charles Edwards, and stood upon the opposite side of the road from where the present building stands. Solomon Bolton, Harland Puller, Asahel Carpenter, father of ex-Governor Carpenter, of Iowa, and H. N. Tiffany are among the early prominent teachers. This has been considered the best school in the township, and has a local reputation for being "a school of teachers." In 1836 Lewis Resseguie and his brother-in-law, Henry Miller, started a subscription to raise funds to build a school-house in South Gibson. It was erected that season, and Chloe Tiffany ~ as the first teacher. Among those who taught in the next twenty years were H. N. Tiffany, Eveline Chandler, Lucinda Tiffliny and Angeline Woodward. In 1886 another building was erected, in which Amelia Belcher, H. Kate Dix, O. C. Whitney and Manly Brundage taught several terms each. In 1882 the Graded School building was erected at a cost of two thousand dollars; the citizens of South Gibson gave four hundred dollars. D. B. Holmes, contractor and builder. O. W. Burman, Berton Smith, George P. Ross and Nelson Spencer have been principals. The school library contains over two hundred volumes. The erection of this building provoked considerable opposition, and the directors had to exhibit considerable firmness in coming to a decision. The following are the Board of Directors that decided to build: Joel Dix, Herman Webber, George Tiffany, James Smith, Charles W. Resseguie, T. J. Reese.
There wcre schools in the vicinitv of Burrows' Hollow as early as 1800. Wright Chamberlain was an early teacher of a school in his own house, for his own family and his neighbors' benefit. Among the early teachers were Eliza Morey, Cynthia Cheever, Wareham B. Walker (who taught in the old "Skyrin House") Peddie Foster, John D. Scott and Josiah B. Bill. The latter came from New Milford every day, and taught for twelve dollars a month. He understood how to govern his eighty pupils. They loved and feared him. He was the most celebrated teacher in this school in its pioneer days. A school building was erected in 1821 under the leadership of Urbane Burrows. Nathaniel Chaflin, Oney Sweet, David Tarbox, Ezekiel and Amos Burrows, assisting M. B. Wheaton and Frank Bailey, taught here.
A graded school building was erected in 1879. Judge Burrows came back from the Centennial at Philadelphia with the impression that Burrows' Hollow was behind the times in the matter of schools, and the graded school building is the result. Cornell was principal in 1879, followed by William Whitney, U. B. Gillett, Miss Ellen Whitney, James Adams, Wallace L. Thacher.
The first Board of School Directors in Gibson were Joseph Washburn, Arunah Tiffany, Otis Stearns, George Woodward, Waller Washburn and Garrett Johnson. There are now twelve school districts- Burrows' Hollow, Kentuck, Columbia, Union Hill, Kennedy Hill, Washburn, Gelatt, Briar Hill, Rock, East Mountain, South Gibson, Smiley.
KENNEDY HILL AND BURROWS' HOLLOW METHODIST CHURCH.- The first Methodist in Gibson was Margaret Bennett, who lived on Union Hill. She used 'to ride on horseback to Jacob Tewksbury's, in Brooklyn, a distance of twelve miles, to prayer-meeting. The first meetings in Gibson were held in James Bennett's house and barn. The first class was organized about 1812-13 by Elijah King, who was traveling on Broome Circuit. George Williams, a bachelor, was leader for many years. The other members of the class were Margaret Bennett, generally known as Aunt "Peggy;" Sarah Willis, afterwards wife of John Belcher; Susanna Fuller and Joseph Williams. Mrs. Ingalls, with her two daughters and fonr sons joined the class soon after it was organized. Rosman C. Ingalls became a Methodist preacher. Charles Bennett also joined early. Mr. Ingalls, Urbane Burrows and E. V. Decker have been class-leaders. Christopher Frye is said to have preached the first sermon. He was on the Wyoming Circuit as early as 1806, which then included Hopbottom. Dr. George Peck, who traveled this circuit in 1819, says of him: " He was a large man, had a great voice and a fiery soul. Great revivals followed him." Of Nathaniel Lewis, of Harmony, a local preacher who early held meetings in in this section, he said: "He was rough as a mountain crag, but deeply pious. He could read his Bible and fathom the human heart, particularly in its developments among backwoodsmen." Rev. Edward Paine, Elisha Bibbings, Loring Grant and others are recalled as having preached here to the pioneers. Later A. A. Decker, Nathan Kennedy and wife, A.
Lathrop, Robinson Lewis, Adelia Lewis, William Roper, Julia Roper, Raymond Scott, A. W. Greenwood, Thomas W. Tingley, Philander Tiffany. After Major Lamb and family came they held meetings at his house, occasionally, when he lived in the Skyrin House, 1815-18; also at David Tarbox's and at the school-house at Burrows' Hollow. The New Hampshire and Vermont Methodists that settled in Jackson worshipped here before they had a class of their own. These early Methodists were the old-fashioned, shouting kind. The circuits were large, and the ministers preached in school-houses and barns, wherever they could obtain a hearing. Although some of their names are forgotten, the good they did will never be lost. Aunt Peggy Bennett's house was a preacher's home for years. She is remembered as a very earnest Christian woman, who jumped and shouted when she was happy. The first church was erected on Kennedy Hill in 1837. Rev. Messrs. Tenny and Reddy were on the circuit when the church was dedicated. They held extra services, which resulted in a great revival, and many were added to the church. In 1868-69 this church was sold to the South Gibson charge, and it was removed to that place, and the church at Burrows' Hollow was erected. There are about seventy-five members, and this year it has been set off as a separate charge. The Sunday-school was organized after the church was built on Kennedy Hill. with Urbane Burrows as superintendent, a position which he held until after the church was built in Burrows' Hollow. He was capable and liberal and attracted pupils for miles around.
THE BAPTISTS had preaching at Burrows' Hollow first of all. Elder Dimock and Elder Lewis preached here. They organized the people into a church, but they never had any building. Elder Lewis baptized eleven through the ice one day. Cyrus Cheever, Stephen Harding, John Green, Dr. Chandler and Warren Follet's wife were Baptists. Elder Hartwell preached in the place some time.
THE UNIVERSALIST CHUROH was built in 1840. Charles Tingley; Franklin N. Avery, Almon Clinton, Oney Sweet, Abijah Wells, Moses Chamberlain, Milton Tingley, Amos Barnes, Ezekiel Barnes and Obed Ney were the principal members. James R. Mack organized the church. There has been no regular preacher of late. Occasionally a missionary comes here and holds meetings.
NORTH STAR LODGE, No. 119, A. Y. M., was instituted in Gibson, probably at James Washburn's house, in 1816. The charter for this lodge was granted in England to Clifford District, which then embraced a large extent of territory, and a full history of the changes which took place and the different lodges that were held under this charter before it was finally surrendered to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania would read like a romance. It appears that the charter was originally granted to Judge Samuel Preston, a pioneer and prominent Quaker settler at Stockport, Wayne County Samuel Stanton, the pioneer settler at Mount Pleasant, and John Comfort, another prominent pioneer at Lanesboro'. The lodge was first held at Mount Pleasant. Elijah Dix, another ed settler, was a member there. Then it appears that the North Star Lodge was instituted either at Hosea Tiffany's, in Harford, or at Washburn's house. It was held at Washburn's, in Gibson, as long as he lived. The following persons are remembered as having been members of that lodge:
William Dougherty, Nathaniel Cladin, Eliab Farrar, Joshua K. Adams, James Adams, Captain Amos Payne, Chas. Payne, Dr. Streeter, Major Laban Capron, Hosea Tiffany, Jr., Amos Tiffany, Capt. Freeman Peck, Jacob Blake, Nathan P. Thacher, Enos Thacher, Joab Fuller, Nathan Aldrich, Rufus Kingsley, Dr. Braton Richardson, Peter Williams, Charles Tingley, S. P. Chandler, Milton Tingley, Elisha Williams, Moses B. Wheaton, Job Benson, Torrey Whitney, Hanners, Thomas Carr and Michael J. Mulvey were among the members.
It is said that a lodge was instituted under this charter at Dundaff. During the Anti-Mason agitation the lodge did not meet very frequently. After James Washburn died, Charles Tingley, his executor, found the chest containing the charter and other paraphernalia of the order, and being a Mason, he called a meeting of some of the old members at his house. They assembled there and concluded to reorganize and c9mmence work again; but here a new difficulty arose. While this lodge had been sleeping, a contest had arisen in the State between the Ancient York Masons, holding charters from England, and the Free and Accepted Masons, Organized under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. The old lodge gave five degrees, including the Mark Master's degree, which interfered with the Royal Arch Chapter under the Pennsylvania jurisdiction; and further, returns had to be made to England, which was very inconvenient, but most of the members that now belonged were old men, and all of their lodge associations clustered around the North Star Lodge. and they stood out stoutly against surrendering their old English charter. They initiated two or three members after reorganization, but the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania insisted upon their surrendering their charter; Judge Tingley was a mild man, and finally favored surrendering the charter, which was accordingly done, and Freedom Lodge, of Jackson, was chartered from Pennsylvania, vith Torrey Whitney, W. M.; M. B. Wheaton, S.W.; Chas. Tingley, J. W.; M. J. Mulvey, Senior Deacon; Mr. Streeter, Junior Deacon. Joshua K. Adams arrived too late to be made Master, as was originally intended. He was the best workman in the old and iso in the new order when it was instituted. Freedom Lodge was organized at Burrows' Hollow, but now has its place of meeting at Jackson.
GEORGE GELATT came to Gibson from Massachusetts with his family between 1809 and 1812. He
Previous Section (Part Two)
Next section (Part Four)
for Gibson township extracted from the Stocker Centennial History of Susquehanna County
Back to the Stocker Centennial History of Susquehanna County index page
[eMail the site administrator] [DSData homepage] [DSData company] [DSData genealogy] [DSData olives]