PLEASE NOTE: These electronic pages are for the use of individual researchers, and may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.
where Solomon Pickering now lives. His children were Orson, died in the army; Eliza Ann, wife of Nelson Resseguie; Samuel, who lives in South Gibson; Charles, who died in Scranton ; and Adaline, wife of George Van Loan, of Lenox. Benjamin Snyder came to Gibson from Clifford in 1824 and settled on the Dann farm, near South Gibson, until 1836, when he removed to East Mountain. He had a family of ten children. James, resides in Lenox; John, moved to Oregon and became a noted bridge-builder; George, lives in Illinois; Elizabeth Keech, resides at South Gibson; Polly, wife of William Taft, died in Gibson in 1884; Margaret, is the wife of D. T. Lawrence; Ann J., is the wife of S.D. N. Bennett; and Adaline, is the wife of Frederick Emerick.
JOHN WILLIAMS (1788-1869), a native of Norwich, Conn., was among the early settlers of the township of Gibson, and came here while yet a young man, about 1814. He had heen liberally educated, and was a teacher for several terms, and in this work he was known as a thorough disciplinarian. His home on the Tunkhannock is the present residence of his children. He erected his first frame house upon settling on his land, and built the present residence about 1853. He owned a saw-mill on the Tunkhannock near his residence, which is about one and a half miles from South Gibson, on the road to Gelatt, which he run in connection with his farming. He was known as "Esquire" Williams, and served for two consecutive terms as justice of the peace, being the first one elected by the people of the township after the law was enacted, providing for election instead of appointment to that office. He had previously served as constable. He also served as school director, and was one of an examining committee of teachers before the creation of the office of school superintendent. He was a man of temperate habits, firm in his convictions, a great reader of the Bible and highly respected for his honesty of purpose. He worshipped with the Free-Will Baptists at Rock School-house and at South Gibson. He enlisted three times during the War of 1812, while a resident of Connecticut, and during his service showed much bravery, on one occasion carrying an open keg of powder to another place when no other soldier dared to volunteer to do it. He served as captain in the old State Militia for many years, and was known as "Captain Williams" until his election as justice of the peace. During the War of the Rebellion he stood unswervingly in the Republican ranks as a supporter of the Union cause. His parents were Solomon (1756-1837) and Hannah
Ayer (1761-1822) Williams, and his brothers and sisters were George, born 1782, died unmarried; Joseph (1784-1862), a resident of Gibson for many years, died in Wayne County; Sally, 1786 died young; Hannah (1791-1837); Betsey, 1793; and Solomon, 1795. His wife, the widow Lott, formerly Rhoda Poole, died in 1846. His children are,- Solomon, eldest son of John Williams, bought one thousand acres of timber-land on the Delaware, and was successfully engaged in the lumber business when the war broke out. His love of country outweighed the entreaties of friends and a desire for private gain. He enlisted in Company E, Captain Lewis Bunnell, One Hundred and Seventy-seventh Pennsylvania Regiment, and served nine months; was first stationed at Newport News, and at Suffolk, Va., where he remained until December, 1862, when he volunteered to help man Fort Halleck, where he remained five months. He was ordered to Fort Nan-semond, and afterwards to Fort Kingsbury, where he remained until his term of service expired. He was a brave soldier, and once, while on guard, halted commissioned officers, refusing to let them pass, threatenening at the point of the bayonet their lives, if they proceeded farther. Through disability he was prevented from reenlistment ; returned to his former vocation, which he was soon obliged also to abandon, and returned to the old homestead. John, second son, born 1825; married the widow Myra Ann Palmer, now deceased, resides on the homestead. Rhoda Ann, born in 1829, is the widow of Jacob Denny, resides at Equinunk, Pa., and has one son living, Harland A. Denny; and Annettie Williams, also on the homestead. This Rhoda Lott had four children by her first husband,- Ichabod, died in Michigan ; Sally, deceased, was the wife of Edward J. Denny, of Gibson ; William died in Michigan; and Mary Lott died young.
HAMILTON BONNER was born September 3, 1806, and emigrated with his father, Chas. Bonner, to Herrick from Tyrone County, Ireland. His father settled on the Newburg turnpike near Dr. Day's, and Hamilton labored on the public works. He helped log the ground where Honesdale stands, and helped dig the Delaware and Hudson Canal from Mamakating up to Honesdale, and helped build the gravity railroad from Honesdale to Carbondale. He remembers the "Stourbridge Lion," the first engine run in America, and says it was a clumsy thing. They could not do much with it. He finally got enough of labor on public works, and came to Harford, near the Gibson line, and bought an improvement of Michael Belcher and kept bachelor's hall awhile, but he would come in tired and his Johnny cake would burn up while he was napping, and he left and found work at Skinner's Eddy. Here he met his destiny in the form of a female,-Miss Hannah Pepper,whom he married and returned to his cabin and cleared up a place. They have children as follows : Philander, a resident of Gibson; David, lives in Wyoming County; and John lives on the homestead; Philander and David were in the army; Eliza is the wife of Herman Webber, of Burrows' Hollow. Mr. Bonner was converted in 1830, after a four days' struggle, and has never had any doubts since that time. He has been Sunday-school superintendent, steward and is a licensed exhorter in the Methodist Church.
JOHN D. PICKERING .-Jotham and Phineas Pickering, brothers, settled in New Milford from Massachusetts, in 1793. Five years later, in 1798, they settled in Gibson, the latter at Gelatt Hollow. He had sons,-Augustus, Joseph and John B. The former, Jotham, a soldier in the Revolutionary War, resided on Gibson Hill and died at about fifty years of age. His children were Henry, went to Ohio; John, resided in Gibson for many years, removed to Nicholson, where he built a saw-mill, and resided until his death; Preserved, resided adjoining the homestead in Gibson, had a son William, whose son Alden S. is the present proprietor of the hotel at South Gibson; Corbet (1796-1876), father of John D.; Potter, resided in Gibson and died in Glennwood; Leab, wife of William Tripp, of Gibson; Mrs. Aden Cramer, of Clifford; Nabby Ann, a Mrs. Miller of Gibson; and Polly, wife of James Waterman, of Mt. Pleasant, Wayne County. Corbet, fourth son ofJotbam Pickering, married Tamar Denny, born in 1803, now living, a daughter of John Denny, who came to Gibson from Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1814, whose wife was Esther Corbet. Corbet resided for fifteen years after his marriage in North Gibson, and in 1833 settled on the Tunkhannock, a mile below South Gibson, where he erected a saw-mill in 1835, and a grist-mill about 1848. Here he spent the remainder of his life, running his mills and managing his farm. He served in the War of 1812, and went as far as Danville. Both himself and wife ,were members of the Baptist Church and attended at Gelatt Hollow. Their children are Louisa (1820-76), was the wife of James Snyder, of Lenox; John D., born in North Gibson February 1, 1821; Nathaniel, 1823, a farmer at Glennwood; Harlaam, the wife of Datus Stevens, of Clifford; Alanson, deceased, resided in Clifford; Elias, resides in Moscow, Pa; Betsey, deceased, was the wife of Benjamin Potter, of Gibson; Lovina, the wife of Emory Ehrgood, of Moscow; Eveline, deceased, was the wife of John Traviss, of Gibson, who was killed in front of Petersburg, during the war, and after his death married Charles Lewis, both dying in Moscow; Henry, of Yellowstone Park; Cordilla, was the wife of Frank Gaum, and died in Michigan; Mahala, widow of Samuel Blair, Ohio; and James resides in Clifford.
John D. Pickering spent his boyhood on the farm of his father, and in attending the mills. He learned what hard work was, and the important lessons of economy and industry as necessary to securing a comfortable home and a fair competence. He married, in 1841, Lucinda Conrad, of Gibson, who was born July 25, 1821, and their children are Melissa P.,
1842, wife of Denison McNamara, a well-to-do farmer, of Lenox; Mary Julianna, 1843, wife of Samuel McNally, of Lenox; Eldridge C., 1852, succeeded to his father's bomestead in Lenox; Emma A., 1857,wife of Lucius Briggs, of Gibson. Following his marriage John D. bought a farm in Lenox, where his son now resides, where he remained until 1874, when he erected his present residence in Gibson, where he has since resided. When a young man of seventeen he served on the Canadian frontier during the Canadian Rebellion of 1837-38, and when forty-two years of age, in 1864, he enlisted in Company D, Captain Dimock, Fiftieth Pennsylvania Regiment, at Harrisburg, was encamped at Annapolis, and thence, by a forced march, during which many stalwart men died on the way, he was engaged in the battle of the Wilderness. The fatigue of this march resulted in permanent injury by bursting a vein on his leg, and for disability he was sent to the hospital, and remained at the hospitals at Newark, N.J., and Satterlee, Philadelphia, until he was honoraNy discharged May 15,1865. His wife is a daughter of George (1794-1856) and Betsey Elizabeth (1797-1878) Ressegule Conrad, of Gibson. George Conrad settled in Gibson in 1818, and was the son of William Conrad,who settled in Brooklyn in 1787, and was a Hessian soldier employed by Great Britain in the Revolutionary War. Betsey Elizabeth Resseguie was the daughter of Samuel Resseguie, a settler in Gibson in 1809.
The Conrads belonged to the Baptist Church at South Gibson. Their children are Eli, 1819, of Gibson; Lucinda (Mrs. John D. Pickering); Fidelia, 1823, was the wife of Andrew Corey, of Preston Wayne County, where both died; Martin, 1828, of Lenox; Freelove, 1831, widow ofJohn Guard, of Gibson; George, 1833, served nearly through the late war was taken prisoner with thirteen others, and underwent the most inhuman treatment in Andersonville prison for sixteen months, he being the only one that survived of the thirteen, resides in Lenox; Henry F. 1835, a farmer in Gibson ; William S. (l838-63), served in the late Rebellion one year, and died on the way home; Betsey Melinda, 1841-59; and Mary, 1843, wife of Paul Barriger, Esq., of Great Bend.
Previous Section (Part
for Gibson township extracted from the Stocker Centennial History of Susquehanna County
Back to the Stocker Centennial History of Susquehanna County index page
[eMail the site administrator] [DSData homepage] [DSData company] [DSData genealogy] [DSData olives]